Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Lamar Pedestrian Bridge

My first time on the Lamar pedestrian bridge.

A long time ago, before the pedestrian bridge existed, I once rode my bike across the bridge with friends (heading south) and when I came down off the curb right before the overhead bridge (with the blue art rectangle reflectors) and before that hill that takes you to 6th & Whole Foods I had to make it up a curb on the other side of the road to get back on the sidewalk...and I totally bit it. My front tire bounced off the curb so my bike suddenly stopped moving forward and I flew over the handle bars and luckily stuntman-landed in the grass. It was awesome and hilarious! I think I may have flipped & rolled, even!

Anyway, that pedestrian bridge was a good idea because the sidewalk was always crowded with bikes, runners, walkers, dogs, etc. and the fear of getting bumped down off that steep curb into Lamar traffic was nerve-racking. Although I obviously did fine with that on my own.

Back to my current story, which isn't nearly as entertaining but, alas... After yoga I was heading down south Lamar in my car to go back home but decided instead to go check out the bridge & enjoy Lady Bird Lake early in the morning. I always love how cities feel before everyone is awake and on the go. The city itself is alive. The first time I thought about being in love with a city itself was when I saw that movie where a tour guide rides through NYC on a double decker tour bus and offers up the notion. Sort of sounds disconnected and reclusive but during this kind of peaceful moment when you can just listen to sounds and appreciate the naturalness of everything around you, it makes sense.

Was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment