Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Curvy Road and its Field of Sunflowers




In the movie The Box, George Clooney's character says "Photographs are for people who don't have memories". If that is true, I guess it's the reason why I've never photographed touristy type things whenever I travel. I've photographed the Louvre, a famous water garden in Paris and an unusual take on the Eiffel Tower. That's about it as far as famous attractions go and I didn't photograph them because they were famous. I photographed them because there was something else I saw; there was something interesting to me - architecture, composition or a feeling. I didn't know that water garden in Paris was famous until I saw it in a movie but I don't remember which one. Maybe it's not even famous. I don't know. Anyway, memories are amazing. These photographs of sunflowers hold so many memories. Read on & see more photos of these beautiful sunflowers ...


There was a short, curvy road that connected the service road to the main road I used to take to get home after exiting the highway. The curvy road was flanked by this field of sunflowers and it was a shortcut instead of driving another 1/4 mile to the intersection and making a right at the busy light. I used to race around the curvy road as a teenager, trying to get home by curfew. I used to love the quiet of that road and the field instantly took me somewhere else in my mind, somewhere imaginary or just to a peaceful or giddy state of being.

It reminds me of being with friends and it reminds me of all the mischief I used to get into growing up. It reminds me of my '85 Nissan 300ZX with T-tops. I'd cruise the turns in that road rocking my portable CD player and love the wind blowing on my face. It reminds me of the Blockbuster Music/Video I used to work at right at that intersection. It reminds me of coming back to visit my parents during college. I'd get really excited and have this urban love feeling when I could finally see the Dallas skyline once I hit somewhere on the outskirts of downtown. Then, about 40 minutes later, once I reached that road and that field -- I felt a sense of calm, like coming home.

The curvy road was a really short road. It took less than a minute or so to break through to the main road and once I did, I then entered a totally other kind of state: frantic ... racing against time and running red lights so I wouldn't get in trouble for being late.

The road is a symbol of my innocence and my growth. It stands as a comforting memory of good times and good things in my life as well as a visual reminder of how everything changed. More on that another time.






2 comments:

  1. Like the pictures. Love the story -- reminds me I need to slow down and see the sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete