Friday, June 24, 2011

Famous Hotels in Dallas and Sicily


This was our room at The Hotel Adolphus in Dallas. The hotel is a wonderful historic hotel with beautiful antiques in various sitting areas for afternoon tea or just relaxing. The artwork is amazing - women draped in delicate and colorful garments, flanked by tigers, for example.

Separated from the mezzanine, the bar room is gorgeous. It has dark, wooden walls and antique furniture. As a main focal point across from the bar itself, is an antique Asian mantel elaborately carved in wood. It's a place where you imagine artists and writers like Ernest Hemingway hanging out and drinking absinthe or smoking opium. I ordered a champagne cocktail. The old-time grandeur reminds me of a trip to Palermo, Sicily where my dad and I finished out one of our nights in the bar at the Grand Hotel et des Palmes. People like classical composer Wagner as well as writers, actors, and politicians have stayed at the historical hotel.

It's pretty thrilling to have been in some of the very same places artists I admire have been. It's much like when I look at art masterpieces - sometimes I trip out on the fact that I'm standing right in front of something someone put their soul into on some level. Their life flashes in front of me.

Just another little snippet of why I love travel and hotels, which I've talked about in previous posts

1 comment:

  1. I've seen progression in every post. Your newer posts are simply wonderful compared to your posts in the past. Keep up the good work.

    James Makker MD

    ReplyDelete